spineymedia

RSS to JavaScript

पीसी world




Premium Review PC crap world
by gabriella2k - written on 13.10.01 - Rating: (1 of 5 possible stars)

Advantages HA HA HA !!!!
Disadvantages Tech support hopeless
Two months ago,I took my computer into PC World in Huddersfield because I needed a new CD drive fitting.They fitted a new cd drive and I took my PC home.When I turned on the computer it would not boot up.I took it straight back to the store,and a technician checked the computer for me.

He spent over an hour trying to fix the problem.He took out all the cables,graphics card,processor,memory etc. He proceeded to tell me nearly everything was faulty,but kept changing is mind about that as he went along.I did remind him that my computer was working fine,(apart from the cd drive), before I took it into their store.He even said at one point my anti-virus software can cause this problem and told me to get rid of it! What? He eventually did manage to get the computer to boot up and announced that my pc was now ok.

I got the computer home,turned it on and nothing happened.Same problem.I took it back into pc world and they said they would check it out as soon as possible.I was contacted later on in the day by another technician.He told me he had checked my computer and I needed a new motherboard.

When I asked what could have happened to cause this,he said there must have been a sudden power surge in my electricity supply when I got the computer back home and turned it on.I told him I thought that was very unlikely and that I had had the computer for 3 and a half years and nothing like that had happened before.

Why would I suddenly get a power surge at the exact moment I turn my computer on,not only that,but it was only turned on for about 30 seconds! Not a logical explanation.

My Wife and I then went to PC World to collect our non-working computer.When we got there,we got into a heated discussion with the Technician? and manager as to how my computer could suddenly need a new motherboard.The technician said he had checked with pc world tech support by phone and they confirmed his diagnosis.

The manager then assured me sh e had every confidence in the technicians at pc world in Huddersfield. She then said they could put me a new motherboard in for between £150 - £200.I said I would not let one of their technicians anywhere near my computer again.


I took my computer home and decided to send it to Evesham Micros,the company I bought my computer from. The only reason I didn't send it to them in the first place,is that my warranty had expired. (That is a 2 year FREE warranty by the way. I would highly recommend Evesham to anybody).

They returned my computer on the 22/08/01,fully working.There was nothing wrong with the motherboard or any other hardware inside the computer.It was just the reset switch which had become dislodged!!!. I was without a computer for two weeks plus it cost me £25 just to send my computer back to evesham.I don’t know what sort of test PC World carried out on my computer,but obviously not the correct one.

I am just thankful that I didn’t agree to let them put me a new motherboard in.When that didn’t work what would have been next? A new processor,graphics card,harddrive.This could have cost me a lot of money.I still cannot understand how they could say it was a faulty motherboard.

What test did they do?In half an hour,Evesham installed a new CD drive,tested my hardware,diagnosed the problem and corrected it.Thats service,unlike the treatment I received from PC World in Huddersfield.

I sent a letter of complaint to the manager at Dixons PLC, who own PC World. I sent copies of the workshop reports from both PC World and Evesham. I didn't even get a reply.


I got fed up wating for Dixons to get back to me so I emailed PC World cutomer support.This is their reply.

Dear Mr Kenyon,

In reply to your e-mail;

I have spoken to Rob at the store who insists he tried several tests upon the
motherboard without power supplied through the case, and found it to be faulty.

I am unaware whether there may be an intermitant fault with the board,
yet would like to apologise for the misunderstanding.

If indeed Rob was incorrect in his diagnosis of the problem, then I must also
apologise for his mistake.

Providing a high level of service to all our customers is very important to us
and
I am concerned that on your recent visit, this was not offered to you.

I have forwarded a copy of your complaint to the divisional office responsible
for this store. This will enable the area manager to look into the service offered and take the necessary steps to improve this.

Thank you for the time taken to write to us, as it is only through such
avenues that we are able to assess your views. and implement changes where
necessary.


Kindest Regards

If he was incorrect in his diagnosis? Whats the matter with these people.The computer is working fine since Evesham fixed it. Why can't companies like this just admit they got it wrong. Evesham tested the motherboard and all the other hardware and everything was fine.I even sent them the workshop report from Evesham.

I sent another email saying I wasn't satisfied with their reply. They sent me another email saying the technician at PC World was still insisting the motherboard was knackered. Even though he now knew the computer was working.

My computer has been working fine ever since,no problems whatsoever. I might as well have let my 8 yr old daughter have a go at installing the cd drive.She couldn't have done any worse.

its true if you use a pc every day for years , its almost predictable when windows is getting bloated & ready to grind to a screeching halt everything seems to take longer , the hard disk rattles it takes for ever to start & things stop working

spineymedia

WEBMASTER/PCTECH web guru

DO NOT TAKE A CLUNKY PC TO THESE GUYS

more videos made by spiney in huddersfield

spiney's videos on livevideo

rip off by pcworld